Friday, August 2, 2019

Motorcycling in the Rain

I took a 150-mile spin through Yellowstone and made it to the top of the mountain. 



The clouds were building and thunder was rumbling in the distance.  Unfortunately, that distance was in the direction I needed to get to go home.  So I plodded through 30 miles of driving rain to get home.  A few takeaways:

Puddles are no fun. 

Waterproof gear is a must.  Without it, I was fully soaked, though my phone somehow survived. 

Motorcycle helmets don't have windshield wipers. 

Helmet facemasks fog up in a hurry. 

Raindrops hurt when they pelt your face, even at 45mph. 

When the sun hides behind the clouds at 8000 feet, it gets awfully cold, particularly when you're wet and manufacturing a 45mph wind as you go. 

Numb hands don't work the brakes and clutch very well. 

* * *

Good to know!  Some hot cider and a pulled pork sandwich eventually stopped my uncontrollable shivering, and I'll make some adjustments going forward. 

No comments: