Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Overland in Africa

That was my overland journey from Beira, Mozambique to Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania. I was on the road (or sleeping on the side of the road) for something like 77 out of 89 hours. It took 12 vehicles and a long walk. In order: car, truck, combi, walk, pickup truck, taxi, car, car, truck, car, truck, bus.

Along the way, I passed through the following cities:

In Mozambique: Beira, Chimoio, Tete
In Malawi: Blantyre, Lilongwe, Mazuza
In Tanzania: Mbera, Dar Es Salaam

If anybody knows the total distance from Beira to Dar via the route I took, write a comment to let me know. I think it was over 2000 kilometers, but I can’t find reliable information on the Internet to confirm.

Click on this map to see my entire route through southern Africa.
The blue line is for overland travel. I started in Windhoek, Namibia, traveled up through Zambia and into the Congo, then back through Zambia and into Zimbabwe. From there, I went to Mozambique, and then came back up through Malawi to Tanzania. The two gaps along the way (in Botswana and the DRC) are where I took short plane rides.

Here are links to all the installments of the overland story:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6

I’ve just edited the posts to add some pictures, so even if you already read them, click through to see what some of the journey actually looked like.

No comments: