Saturday, November 28, 2009

Alexandria, Egypt

I spent two relaxing days strolling around Alexandria.  My youth hostel in Shatby cost $2 per night.  The city is narrow and stretches for 20 miles along the Mediterranean.  It's modern, and quite beautiful in spots.  Here's a nice profile of the city with a pretty slideshow.

It felt like a university town, at least where I was staying; everywhere you looked, young people were walking about carrying stacks of books.

Alexandria felt very livable, but I chatted with a few people who said that work was hard to find there.  I met a teacher and a pharmacist who each went to the United States for a year to work in the food industry -- Dunkin' Donuts, pizza delivery, diners -- to earn money to send back home to their families.  And most of the 7 Egyptians in my minibus from Libya had been working as electricians in Libya because they said there was more work there, and the pay was better.

The view near the sea.  You can make out the edge of the Alexandria Library on the right.



Handsome planetarium as the sun sets in the distance.



Students chatting outside the Alexandria Library.



Cemetery in the middle of town.


No comments: