Friday, July 3, 2009

Road trip: Windhoek to Ghanzi

Fouzia, a friend of mine from the backpackers, joined me for my journey from Windhoek, Namibia, to Maun, Botswana. We took a cab to a carpark on the east side of Windhoek, where we found a guy who was driving to Gobabis, about 120km from the Namibia-Botswana border. He agreed to take us all the way to the border for about $16 apiece. Once the car was full, we were off.
We drove along the Trans-Kalahari Highway, which is a very nice tar road, finished in 1998.
Goodbye, Namibia. Hello, Botswana.
On the other side of the border, we waited for a ride. It took a while. We got a short lift to a gas station, where we waited a while longer with a bunch of Botswanans who were also looking for a hitch. Finally, we got one. Everyone jumped in the truck. Here is me with my traveling companions on the road to Ghanzi.
It was cold. I used Fouzia's sleeping bag and gave my bag to another guy (he's in the photo above, hiding under the sleeping bag and obscured by my head in the photo). When we arrived in Ghanzi, he was very appreciative and said we could stay with him at a friend's house. We accepted. It was the first proper house I've stayed in since I got to Africa.

No comments: