Thursday, August 20, 2009

Personal Growth

My ride from Zimbabwe to Beira (Bay-ruh, emphasis on the first syllable, but try to roll the "r"), Mozambique involved 6 different vehicles. I couldn't make it in a day and had to stay at a very low budget "motel" along the main road. The room was tiny, and I shared it with my new friend and traveling companion, Mason. Total cost of the room: $1.60. This is the view of the room from the bed.
The view the other way. I originally unrolled my sleeping bag on the concrete floor and announced my intention to sleep there. I didn't know Mason that well, and I thought it was a nice gesture to give him the whole bed. He said I shouldn't sleep on concrete. I looked around the room and saw a few of the massive bugs crawling about, and decided that my sleeping bag and I would indeed take him up on the offer.
The view looking up when you're lying on the bed.

This guy spent the night on one of the bedposts. I saw him before going to sleep and didn't give him another thought -- and slept like a baby until we woke up at 4:30 a.m. to continue our journey. Getting used to bugs -- that's personal growth.

No comments: