Saturday, September 5, 2009

Halkidiki, Greece

We talked to some people in Thessaloniki who said that the place to go in Greece was Halkidiki, which is three separate peninsulas on Greece's eastern armpit. We spent our time on the westernmost of the peninsulas. Here are some shots from near where we stayed.




We camped on the beach, which wasn't that pleasant due to mosquitoes. The campsite was right here.
I had to escape the mosquitoes in my tent.
The highlight, by far, was swimming in the sea at night. It was one of the best experiences of my life, thanks to bioluminescence (or is it biophosphorescence?). There was no moon, so it was very dark, but as I moved through the water it would fill with tiny glowing dots that would trail behind me as I passed along. I've never seen anything like it.

No comments: