Thursday, June 4, 2009

Grizzly!

As I walked along the path, I looked up and saw the brute. He was bobbing his head, looking down, and walking right toward me.

When I saw him, I remembered a few things one should do when one encounters a bear. First, play dead. Second, make yourself look really big and menacing and scare the bear. Third, don't run, because bears can outrun humans. So what to do? All three at once?

I turned around and walked, fast. Once I determined that he didn't seem to care, I ran. As fast as I could.

He just kept coming. I'd stop every 50 yards or so, and soon enough, he'd come 'round the corner. He continued down the path all the way to the bridge.

Then, I ran like hell all the way back to my car.

Postscript: I later found this guide to surviving an encounter with a grizzly. Step one: Don't run!

No comments: