Friday, November 13, 2009

Tripoli's Jamahiriya Museum

Libya's national museum is spectacular.  I went once a few days ago, and I'm going back because it was so good.  Created in conjunction with UNESCO, it's beautifully laid out, and the collection runs the gamut from stunning sculptures and mosaics to Islamic art, natural history, and modern history.  Did I mention that there's a mummy?

I was devastated because the section on Libyan independence, supposedly one of the best parts, was closed, but even the limited collection I saw was amazing.  And luckily the Colonel's revolutionary Volkswagen was still on display.

I'll post more photos next week (including a mummy photo!), but these two will give you a taste.





One other thing.  I had read in a guide book that entrance is three dinars (less than three bucks), but you have to hire a guide, which will cost you another 50 dinars, and no cameras are allowed.  Times have changed.  Now it's six dinars, no compulsory guide, and cameras are welcome.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It does look stunning. Hard to believe that among all this peaceful art horror was around.