Monday, November 30, 2009

Going to the Movies in Cairo

I was told that during the feast of Eid, the first couple of days are spent visiting families, and then people spend the latter half of the feast walking around downtown and going to the movies.  I thought a movie sounded like a nice way to spend part of my evening, so I went to a nearby cinema to buy a ticket.  This is what I saw.



A mob, demonstrating two facts about the people of Cairo:  They like the movies, and they don't tend to line up in queues.  I couldn't figure out whether this was the ticket window or the entrance, but it was clear to me that a movie was out of the question.  The mob was there hours later when I passed by again.

I'm told that outside of this weekend, it's not so difficult to go to the movies, but at least last night, it was pretty wild.

No comments: