Friday, November 27, 2009

Benghazi, Libya

I was about to tell you that Benghazi isn't particularly photogenic, but then I visited its Wikipedia page and I take that back.  

Benghazi is Libya's second city, along the coast in the eastern portion of Libya.  I spent a couple of quiet days there, wandering through the long market, eating delicious and inexpensive food (including a massive lamburger with a fried egg and hot sauce for less than 75 cents), and enjoying the hospitality of the Libyans I happened upon.

One tip:  Stay at the El-Dogal hotel.  It's along the sea, the rooms are pleasant enough, and they're much less expensive than similar options in town.  Also occupying the hotel while I was there:  A cool Indian music group and a group of European basketball players.  El-Dogal is the place to be.

Photos of Benghazi:



This next one is an average street in the main part of town.



Benghazi has nice lakes, and a few monuments, and some pleasant places to walk along the sea, but the areas off the main souq -- which are smelly and dirty and wonderful -- are the places to be, as far as I'm concerned.  They look more like this.



Not much to look at, but believe me, much more interesting and fun.

No comments: