Friday, November 27, 2009

Signs

Libya's signs are in Arabic.  For tourists like me without a firm command of the language, it can be challenging to get around.



I took this photo in Sebha.  Several blocks back, I had used gestures and sign language and the word Internet to indicate that I wanted to find an Internet cafe.  I stared at this sign for a solid 30 seconds, trying to guess whether it meant "Internet Cafe."  It didn't.



Go to (the street mentioned below).  Then look for (the thing mentioned in the second sign below).  It's on your right.



As I wandered around, I'd sometimes try to guess what was behind those shuttered stores and (to me) indecipherable signs.  The funny part was that sometimes, when the stores were open, it would be no clearer to me what they actually sold or what service they provided.


No comments: