Thursday, July 23, 2009

My Guesthouse

This is the front of the Kamina guesthouse. Three members of the house staff live in here. There's also a dining room, where I eat 3 meals a day. The entire property is encircled by a 7-foot tall brick fence, and hedges line the perimeter outside the fence.

Behind the main house are two smaller structures visible in this picture. The one on the left contains two bedrooms and a bathroom. My bedroom, which I've shown you before, is in there. The structure on the right is an outhouse used by the members of the staff. (There's one bathroom in the main house, but it seems to be reserved for guests.) This photo was taken from the rear of the main guesthouse.

The bathroom in the smaller house. There is no running water. To flush the toilet, you must pour water from a barrel into the rear of the toilet. Not pictured: A regular-looking bathtub and shower. Showers consist of taking water from a bucket in the tub and pouring it on yourself.

Here's a photo going the other way, taken from the porch near my bedroom and looking out at the main guesthouse. That's me, dressed up for a day of interviewing people at the local courthouse. I borrowed the suit from my friend Fabrice.

The view one morning over the tall brick wall. Taken from the backyard.

No comments: