Thursday, August 8, 2019

Alpacas

Today I received a comprehensive tour of North Idaho's premiere alpaca ranch, the Seven Stars Alpaca Ranch. 


Alpacas are like llamas but smaller, and they have banana-shaped ears rather than straight ones.  Alpaca fiber is considered to be the jewel of the fiber world.  (This was written on an alpaca-shaped sign where we received our orientation.) 


Did you know that alpaca fiber is somewhat fire-resistant?  I was told as much on my tour, and I believe it to be true, but I have no plans to set an alpaca on fire to test this bold claim. 


I learned that while mating, which can take a half hour, the male alpaca sings to his ladyfriend.  If a lady alpaca is already pregnant, she will resist the overtures of the male by spitting on him.  Alpacas are notorious spitters. 

Here is what I considered to be the most handsome alpaca among the 70 or so at the ranch. 


This alpaca probably has a great personality.  


Where is the photo of me with a goat, you are probably asking.  It is right here:


The ranch was 40 acres of natural beauty -- rolling hills, beautiful barns and pastures, all bordered by dense forest and tall pines.  It was a very peaceful place to visit, and it had the best sink I have ever had the pleasure of using. 


No comments: