Sunday, August 25, 2019

Kindness

It is after 8pm on a Sunday, and I'm in a tiny town with no stoplights. 

I walk from my hotel room in search of dinner.  I'm hungry and worn out, and I'm aware that there's virtually no chance that I'll find a meal anywhere at this hour. 

By one of the cheapest rooms at the motel, right by the highway, I notice three chairs and a BBQ on the pavement in front of one room.  In the chairs are two Mexican-looking guys and a black dude sipping on beers.  I wave as I walk by and say "Hi fellas."  They ask how I'm doing, I mention I'm going to get food but I'm obviously doomed, and I keep walking.  They wish me luck. 

I get another 30 paces and I hear a shout:  "Hey!"

I turn back, and the skinny goofy-looking guy says, "You want pizza?"

I admit that I have no other options and I'd love a slice.  He says I'm right -- "ain't nothing open out there" -- disappears into his room, and returns with a box, which he hands over. 

"One slice is all I need," I say.  He insists that I take the whole box, which contains two glorious slices and part of a sandwich.  I protest for a moment, he won't have it, and that's that. 

I look each of them in the eye, say a heartfelt thanks and shake each of their hands, and quietly go back home to enjoy the most satisfying slices of pie I've ever had. 

Thanks, fellas.  

No comments: