Monday, August 5, 2019

Dave

Today I rode across Glacier for about 6 hours, stopping now and then to explore.

At one point, I reached a promising spot with some trails leading this way and that toward a beautiful lake, with all shapes and sizes of mountains in the distance.  I chose my path and started walking, quickly passing a family of four who were headed in the opposite direction, back to their car.

I walked a few more moments and then paused.  The parking lot had exactly one car in it.  Presumably, it belonged to the family that had just left.  Crunching the numbers, I realized that I was completely alone on this trail.  A few paces later, I came across a discomfiting sign that read "YOU ARE ENTERING GRIZZLY COUNTRY."  It encouraged me to keep my bear spray at the ready, and to stay alert.

I was certainly alert, but I had no bear spray.  I was wearing a motorcycle helmet, which made me feel a tad safer but also less aware of anything that might be lurking near me.  I paused and considered... and then immediately hightailed it back to the parking lot.

Another visitor had arrived!  He was on his own, and he seemed to be eyeing the path I had just abandoned.  I struck up a conversation and he agreed to join me for a short walk.

Here's Dave:


I snapped a surreptitious shot of him because he didn't seem the type to pose for a photo.  He's a retired janitor from Maryland and an inveterate complainer.  He said he came here for two weeks with the goal of only hiking remote trails, but was quickly scared off by a mortal fear of bears.  A man after my own heart.  

We saw this glorious mountain, with a red streak due to iron that had, according to an informative placard, more or less rusted a long time ago:  



And we had this lake nearly all to ourselves.  


We were quickly joined by a bride and groom!  They were wandering the park posing for wedding photos.  Brilliant idea.  Here's the lucky guy:



And here's the gorgeous and elegant back of the beautiful bride.  Dave is no doubt complaining about something here.  Classic Dave.  



Here's to Dave, and to a solid walkabout made possible by our shared fear of being mercilessly torn to pieces by a bloodthirsty grizzly bear.  

No comments: