Friday, August 30, 2019

Update on Motorcycle Waves

As discussed earlier, the standard upside-down peace sign is the traditional motorcycle wave.  After more than 1300 miles on the road, I've seen some exciting variations.  My personal favorites:


  • "Your table is served."  Imagine a hostess showing you to your table at a fine restaurant.  An upturned palm indicates that yes, this is indeed the finest table, with the best view.  I love getting that one. 
  • "Blah."  When you're tired or focused on something else, sometimes the best you can manage is a limp-wristed hand movement that doesn't even count as a wave, usually executed the palm facing down and the fingers flailing this way and that.  I am guilty of this one when my hands are cold and numb.  It's the thought that counts. 
  • "Hi-yah!"  When you're busy working the clutch and the throttle and staying near the brakes, a motorcycle wave is nearly impossible.  It often happens when you're accelerating away from a stoplight in heavy traffic.  In that context, I've gotten quite a few kicks.  My fellow cyclist raises his leg and kicks at me with his boot, a nice pragmatic gesture under the circumstances. 
  • "Shaka."  I always enjoy getting that classic surf gesture from a fellow biker.  There are quite a few of them waiting to be flashed along the Oregon coast.  

No comments: