Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Department of the Interior

You've seen the outside of the bus, but here it is again.


How about a look inside?

Here's the cockpit, which may not look like much, but it has been customized to my specifications.


To the untrained eye, it may resemble a circa-1999 Ford interior, but there's a V-10 purring underneath that custom dog bed.  The dog bed rests on a vecroed-in, removable custom-fitted pine enclosure, so my baby can be at my side while I'm driving (and so he no longer blocks my right side-view mirror).

Yes, great eyes!  That is indeed an after-market wireless backup-cam monitor with optional night vision on the dash.  I also have a state-of-the-art GPS system to the left of the steering wheel.  OK, fine, it's where I mount my phone when I use Google Maps.

You can see one can of Red Bull to the left of Hooch's bed.  I actually have two (2) cup holders built into Hooch's box, along with two useful spare change compartments.  I also have a massive console to the left of the driver's seat, which accommodates 4 additional beverages, some earbuds, and about 75 bags of jerky, sunflower seeds, and Sun Chips.

Moving on to the main compartment, here it is when the slide-outs are in:


Feast your eyes upon:
  • A new ceiling
  • New wallpaper (washable)
  • New fancy fake wood grey oak floors
  • Custom dog stairs (removable so they can also help him dismount from his driving box)
  • On the left, a giant bench approximately 8.5' x 2.5', which fits 3+ foam surfboards, many Tommy Bahama chairs, a powerful spare battery, fishing poles, and a shotgun
  • On the right, a mini-compartment that holds luggage, tools, and all my motorcycle gear
  • On the far right, a gigantic 10' x 3.5' compartment that fits unlimited surfboards, a stand-up paddleboard plus paddle, and an inflatable dinghy
  • Kitchen in the background, largely unmodified from the original version
A little hard to move around here, you say?  Well here's what happens when the slide-out slides out:


Hope you noticed some of the 8 LED light fixtures I installed throughout the bus.  I think my gorgeous oak floor pops a bit more in this shot:



A quick glimpse of the kitchen, with fully functional stove, oven, double-wide sink with cover for driving, plus (not pictured) a coffee maker, toaster, and Magic Bullet blender for delicious smoothies. 


The bathroom, not pictured, is a work in progress, but is highly functional with a washer-dryer, comfortably large shower, and toilet room with superb ventilation.  

Now for the bedroom, in home-office mode:


On the left, you will notice a comfortable couch that has wood inserts so it's actually very pleasant to lounge on.  On the right, a flip-up desk perfect for a warm day when you want to prop the rear window up and get some work done.  (Comfy folding char not pictured, currently resting in one of the surfboard compartments in the living room.)

Let's take a look at the bedroom after dark:


Yes, that's a queen-sized fold-out bed, with about 10 inches of mattress/padding.  It's quite comfy.  The whole procedure of making my bed takes less than 2 minutes these days.

I'm so proud of you for not mentioning the hideous yellowish foam surrounding the bed!  That's very discreet and mannered of you.  I do intend to have the foam upholstered a classy grey color.  In the meantime, like the rest of the bus, it's a good example of substance over style.

* * *

There's work to do on the interior.  I'd like a new bathroom sink, a paint job in the kitchen and bathroom, a new toilet, an upholstered bed region, stained mahogany-colored furniture in the living area, an improved sound system, a mounted projector for movie nights, and various other nips and tucks.  But it's highly livable as it stands, and I'm pretty proud of how far it has come.  

No comments: