Thursday, August 29, 2019

Crescent City

As I was riding towards Crescent City, located only 20 miles from the Oregon border, I wondered why people would choose to live there rather than in Oregon, where pretty much everything is significantly cheaper.  I think I get it now.  It's a wonderful little town.  

Crescent City is home to less than 10,000 people, but it may host that many bikers and RVers as they pass through, and for good reason.  It's got a nice feel, some tasty restaurants and views, and a very nice salty-dog vibe.  

Its nearby beaches are rugged and wild and beautiful -- and a little chilly.  


The main attraction in town is the harbor, which boasts delicious food and a collection of very happy, very loud seals.  


It's a popular spot to stow one's fishing boat, and to eat recently caught fish at a restaurant that is not afraid to display some solid kitch. 


It's also a surfing town, from what I could gather.  The local restaurants seem to be doing what they can to keep surf tourism modest, which I'm sure the locals appreciate.  


Big ride coming up today.  Then I will share some of the tremendous beauty of Oregon's glorious west coast.  

No comments: