Friday, August 30, 2019

Bandon Dunes

Bandon Dunes is golf heaven.  It's a bunch of courses nestled along the rugged Oregon coast, and to my eyes, some of it resembled Pebble Beach. 


The courses have incredible hiking trails, streams, ponds, dunes, and all manner of wildlife.  It's a peaceful and wild bit of nature.  No golf carts are allowed, so be prepared for some exercise. 

After having lunch there, I was told I could walk around, but Dennis the Golf Ranger swooped in to tell me no, I could not.  He was kind enough to offer me a full tour in his cart, and I happily accepted.


The accommodations are nice, the staff is Oregon-level friendly, and it seems easy to soak up a few days of golf and relaxation out here.  But it will cost you.  I learned that an alternative is to stay in town, maybe 10 minutes away, and drive over for the golf and dining. 

Another useful tip:  Vicious north winds wreck havoc on the course for most of the summer.  For that reason, Dennis suggests a visit in September or October.  Wintertime can have the occasional frost delay or dusting of snow, but it's doable -- and greens fees are far lower. 

No comments: