Tuesday, September 3, 2019

A Tough Ride Through Banff

I rode over 360 miles from Kamloops, BC to my hotel on the other side of Banff, with various short side trips.  It was a hell of a drive, combining some of the most beautiful scenery I've ever seen with some challenging weather conditions.  How does that sky look to you?


Doable, but there are some layers of clouds (and mountains, of course) that are worth monitoring.  


Still a patch of blue!


Not very much blue left!


Uh oh.  

Sometime shortly after I took this photo, I turned a corner on the bike and beheld a beautiful blue sky right above me.  Then it started to rain cats and dogs, despite the blue sky.  It felt like a spring shower more than a massive thunderstorm, but it soaked me through in seconds, and it kept raining for quite a while.  

A bit further down the road, it stopped for a bit, but then it briefly snowed, and I had the joy of riding on pavement sprinkled with a nasty wintry mix.  

That was a tough day, but the weather did reward me with a rainbow for a nice stretch.  I couldn't capture it because the elements fully occupied me, but it's a special memory from a demanding and rewarding day.  

No comments: