Monday, September 2, 2019

Hello Canada

After a thorough grilling from the border lady, I was permitted to enter Canada.  One of the first businesses I saw was an ice cream parlor and petting zoo, all in one rest stop.  I petted goats, a piggie, a cow, and observed some chickens.  Then I ate ice cream.  And then I began my journey down Highway 1. 



The scenery wasn't overwhelming.  (That would come soon enough.)  To start, it was just a glorious expansive sky and rolling landscapes in every direction as far as the eye could see. 


That image above is a great example.  Just some open road.  But up ahead, barely noticeable, is a range of mountains that was so impressive in person that I had to jam the brakes, pull over into a truck weigh-station, and snap a shot that didn't come out. 


Where people even existed, it looked like the photo above.  I drove 120 kilometers without a single business or gas station, and that was within my first 200 kilometers in Canada!

The roads were smooth and gentle, winding this way and that but never severely.  It was a nice introduction, awe-inspiring but in a quiet fashion.  

No comments: