Monday, September 2, 2019

The Machine

Behold the 2018 Honda Rebel 300, somewhere in British Columbia. 


I bought this beauty for a song.  It came with about 800 miles on it, and it has performed admirably along every step of the way. 

The Rebel is a classic.  It's been made on and off by Honda since 1985, and countless riders learned on one Rebel or another.  They used to be a tad weaker, but in 2017 they were redesigned and given a little more oomph. 

My Rebel 300 weighs about 360 pounds, and it boasts a liquid-cooled single-cylinder four-stroke engine with 286 cubic centimeters of engine displacement.  (Yeah, I don't quite understand that either.)  Max torque?  19.9 pound-feet of pure power.  Look carefully under the hood and you'll notice 27.4 horses galloping when I pull the throttle all the way back. 

On a big hill, I get a little mired in the 50-60mph range, which makes my bike less than ideal for passing other vehicles.  But downhill or with a little tailwind, I can cruise comfortably in the low 80s.  The fastest I've gone, down an enormous hill on a wide road, was 154km/hr, which is about 96mph. 

Cruising down the highway at high speeds used to be terrifying, but now I've adjusted, and as long as the winds and traffic are light it's not a big deal. 

My Rebel gets about 60-80 miles per gallon depending on how hard I'm pushing it.  With a 2.6-gallon fuel tank, I have to fill up every 170-200 miles or so.  From what I can gather, that range should get me all the way to Alaska without carrying additional gas -- but we'll see! 

The bike and I have bonded over the miles, and I'm delighted with it in every respect.  Keep on chugging, little buddy. 




No comments: