Thursday, September 12, 2019

Ding! Safe in Anchorage

From Tok to Anchorage, it's a straight shot.  I put my head down today and made it, though the body and even the bike protested along the way.  I had planned to only take a photo or two, but I wasn't prepared for what I was about to see.  

This one made me shout out loud when I first saw it on the horizon.


The road presented the usual challenges -- uneven surfaces, massive potholes, long sections of gravel and deceptive crevasses, plus miles and miles of construction delays and clouds of bugs.  All in all, nothing out of the ordinary, and nothing to whine about. 


The wind, on the other hand, really howled at times, and I needed to hug the shoulder at low speeds to plow forward.


When I hit the main pass through the mountains, I simply couldn't believe it.  Here's a big taste.








My bike seat, of all things, actually disconnected today.  I rode the seat right off the damned bike!



I didn't even try to capture the glaciers spilling from the mountains along the way.  They were unreal.

In the end, the bike and I pulled up safely to our hotel in Anchorage.  I'm sore as hell, and proud of the almost 4,700 miles we've traveled in three weeks.  Thanks to my trusty steed for not crapping out on me, though I gave it every opportunity to do so.


What a journey.  

No comments: