Monday, September 2, 2019

British Columbia's One Good Weather Day This Year

The star of the show my first day in Canada was the weather.  


I mean, in rainy and cold British Columbia, what were the odds that I would pass through on the only day when the sun was shining and the temperature was perfect?  


Later that day, I learned that BC actually had an arid climate in the summertime, and that the weather on my magical first day was pretty standard.


A guy I met along this lake told me that he rented a house with this exact view, and the day before I arrived he had taken his family 50km down the lake to a floating restaurant for some delicious lunch and a swim.  Incredible.


One of the most remarkable things about the Canadian landscape is its depth.  Look in any one direction closely enough, and you'll see the land pour out into the distance further than the eye can see.  It's breathtaking.  Look to the right at sea level in the photo above, and you'll see mountains unfold upon each other until you can't see any further. 

But that doesn't mean they stop there.  Far from it.   

No comments: